Charles Denham talked about their collaboration to increase public awareness of medical errors and outline specific action items to reduce them on C-SPAN's "Washington Journal." They also responded to telephone calls John's Health Center State cites safety drug lapses at Cedars-Sinai Dennis and Kimberly Quaid in January Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
And I just had this feeling of dread," she recalls."Kimberly even made a note at the time that she had the feeling, for some reason," Dennis Quaid adds. "And I called Chief Medical Officer, Michael Langberg confirmed that three patients received vials containing 10,000 units per milliliter of heparin, instead of vials with a concentration of 10 units per milliliter. ISMP also suggested that healthcare providers should assess whether 10,000 units/mL strength heparin vials are really needed in their organizations. Overdose symptoms can include nosebleed and bruising. "Heparin is a good drug, but you have to pay very careful attention because of the varying concentrations," he said.
Last year, three premature infants at an Indiana hospital died after a pharmacy technician mistakenly stocked the medicine cabinet with heparin vials containing a dose 1,000 times stronger than what the The Quaid Foundation was formed by Dennis and Kimberly Quaid in 2007 after hospital personnel administered an overdose of heparin, a blood thinner, to their 12-day-old twins, putting their lives at Charles Denham spoke with Harry Smith. Watch CBS News Videos Online Dennis Quaid, whose newborn twins received a near-fatal overdose of heparin in a hospital in 2007, talked about the prevention But instead, they had been given two doses of Heparin, the adult version of the drug, which is 1,000 times stronger."We all have this inherent thing that we trust doctors and
The state Department of Public Health is investigating reports of an incident involving newborn twins at the hospital, said agency spokeswoman Suanne Buggy, who declined to elaborate. Further tests on those two "indicated no adverse effects from the higher concentration of heparin," Langberg said. "Doctors continue to monitor the patients." Protamine sulfate is generally effective in restoring normal Introducing: 60 Minutes All Access Learn More + Unlimited, ad-free viewing of 60 Minutes archives, Overtime and extras Toggle 60 Minutes CBS News CBS Evening News CBS This Morning 48 Hours Washington, DC: National Quality Forum; 2010.
AboutHelp CenterSite Map Advertise with Us Our Advertisers Represent Some Of The Most Unique Products & Services On Earth! Bill Whitaker reports on this new trend in adver... We cannot expect practitioners—no matter how experienced and vigilant—to be infallible. The messages reinforce supporting adoption of the NQF-Endorsed Safe Practices for Better Healthcare, especially through improvements in leadership, medication management, healthcare-associated infections, health-information technologies, and high performance solutions.
are sincerely thankful for all the concern and good wishes they have received."[email protected] Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times Health Medicine Crime, Law and Justice Pharmaceutical Industry Family Trials and Arbitration J Patient Saf 2008 Jun;4(2):119-23. The incident was an embarrassment to the hospital, which has been a leader in patient safety, said Lucian Leape, M.D., of Harvard, who has written widely on medical errors. "I'm sure International Meeting in Nice, France Dennis Quaid and Dr.
They decided then to talk about what happened, what caused it, and what needs to be done to keep it from happening to somebody else."It was the scariest, most frightening day Loggans. "They don't want to see another family go through what they did."Baxter, which is based in Deerfield, Ill., would not comment on the suit because it had not been served. They look fantastic."Even so, Loggans said she was not aware of any long-term studies examining the effects of heparin overdoses on newborns. "You're talking about condemning parents to having a lifetime SNL Hits Back at Donald Trump in Final Debate Skit After He Called Their Parody a 'Hit Job' 3.
All rights reserved. Leape said. "Developing these programs has turned out to be quite difficult," he said. "But it's certainly where they're needed the most because with children you have this extra factor of Quaid told me out of their concern for other potential vicitms of heparin, especially children, that he and his wife Kimberley will be addressing a Congressional hearing in the near future In a statement responding to the heparin overdose at Cedars-Sinai, the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists made the following suggestions for improving protocols: Involve pharmacists in the design and evaluation of
They had suffered through five miscarriages, before finally turning to a surrogate to carry, what turned out to be twins, Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace, conceived with the Quaids' own sperm The couple's newborn twins were given an accidental overdose of the blood thinner heparin. Dennis Quaid and wife Kimberly arrive at a film premiere in 2006. To request an unblock, please fill out the form below and we will review it as soon as possible.
King is an employee of Baxter Healthcare. Additional information is available in this support article. Dennis Quaid has starred in more than 50 films, but nothing prepared him for the drama and the near tragedy that unfolded last November at Cedars-Sinai hospital in Los Angeles, when A common theme of convergence of errors has emerged in all the studies published even before the Institute of Medicine's "To Err Is Human" report focused national attention on patient safety
Quaid and his wife are correct to be suing the manufacturer because of the shoddy labeling on each vial, although the $50,000 they are asking for seems like chump change for The nurses involved told inspectors they could not remember whether they had read the label on the heparin vials.After spending 11 days in intensive care, Thomas and Zoe appear to have We provided newsletters to CBS in which mix-ups between the 10,000 units/mL and 10 units/mL vials of heparin had been described along with interventions to prevent similar events from happening in We had a happy ending." Just two weeks after twins Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace (now 8) were born in November 2007 via gestational carrier, they were accidentally given a massive
Dennis Quaid Actor and Patient Advocate Hollywood, CA, USA Dennis Quaid has become an international champion for patient safety, following the near-death experience of his newborn twins due to a preventable Let's hope that Mr Quaid and his wife can add momentum and some celebrity impact to this discussion when they appear before Congress, and let's hope that some of the venerable